Blanker

...

About This Blog

Memories of my travels between 1972 and 1982

Saturday 23 April 2011

April 23rd: New Delhi

On April 23rd 1982 I was in New Delhi.

This was the last day in New Delhi, the last day in India, the last day for this journey.  There was some business to be done, a visit to an office for Income Tax Clearance which I needed in order to leave.  I had a meal in a smarter vegetarian restaurant which didn't seem any better than the cheaper places.  I took a look around the bookshops of Connaught Place with no success.  There was a pleasant walk round Pahar Ganj, a good vegetable market and lots of activity, a buzzy place.  I looked into the air-conditioned bazaar, newly built under the centre of Connaught Circus, and got some culture shock in modern India.  I sat in a cafe for curd and chai back in Pahar Ganj and took photos until the film was ended.  That felt like the end of the trip.

I'd been in Delhi a number of times over the years, so it was a suitable place to finish.  I'd stayed in different places: in a camp-site near the centre in 1972, with a family in Golf Links, in a lodge behind Janpath, in a swanky hotel, and now in the Vishal in Pahar Ganj.  I'd seen the sights as well, the Qutb Minar, Humayun's Tomb, The Red Fort, Chandni Chowk , the National Museum and so on.  I'd been to the zoo, I'd been to a Sikh wedding, I'd been to the Golf Club during a prestigious tournament, I'd eaten tandoori chicken at the Moti Mahal.  This however is the only entry in this blog for New Delhi. 

This time I was truly content to fly home.  I felt I had travelled enough for the moment.  I needed to spend my time in the marketplace, as Hindus might say.  Do some work.  Do something useful for others.


Pahar Ganj:  My picture


Pahar Ganj:  My picture

No comments:

Post a Comment